CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Mommy and Daddy's Christmas Traditions

So, we have lots of traditions we do with the kids/for the kids at Christmas...cookies, making ornaments, reindeer food, tracking Santa, 3 gifts for each like the wise men brought Jesus, birthday cake for Jesus, Christmas Eve church, cinnamon rolls for breakfast...the list could go on... However, there are a few traditions reserved for Mommy and Daddy.

1. Our puzzle.
Each year we buy a puzzle for us to do together, and after the kids go to bed each night during the holiday we stay awake and work on it together. We always put it on a card table passed down from Eric's family, and move it to the corner of the living room during the day to try to prevent the kids from touching it.
I say try...I caught this little hand "helping" us with it...Yea, so she might have moved a few pieces, but whatever...2. We make a gift for each other.
It fills our heart to be able to give to the kids each Christmas, but we always spend so much on them that we never really have the money left to buy things for each other. So, we decided a few years back that we would make a gift for each other...I solicited help to make Daddy's gift this year. See? Coasters for the drinks that Mommy is sick and tired of him leaving all over the house! :)

Daddy and the kids made a mug for me. LOVE IT! It has been perfect on this cold (for Texas) Christmas morning.

3. I go to the 11:00 Christmas Eve service.
I never miss it. I have attended with my mom, with Eric and with a friend; however, most years I have gone alone.
We always take the kids to the early service for children, but there is a peacefulness at the later service that cannot be found at any other time on this holiest of eves. As I leave the service each year it is as if I am officially ready for Christmas to begin...and not the Santa and stuff...CHRISTmas.

Christmas 2010 has almost come to an end, but Mommy and Daddy's traditions are sure to fill our hearts for a long, long, long time.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: