CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Real Family

There are certain things your parents do to you when you are children that are...well, cruel. (And, just so you know, I feel it is important to state I believe experiencing some sort of cruelty from your parents is a necessary evil; however, there is a line, and yes, my parents crossed it!)

So, you see, until I was 9 years-old, I truly did not believe my real dad was my real dad.

It is complicated, but the gist of the story is that my parents and their dear friends used to tell me when I would do something delightfully impressive (like sticking a sibling's head in an oven) of which they were super proud to go and tell my "real dad" what I had done. Likewise, when I wanted something extraordinarily spectacular (like a light blue silk princess gown), I handed the same line..."Go and tell your real dad!" So, confused, I would tell Mark...

With this utter confusion as to who was my real father, I decided I had a whole "other" family I needed to accept. So, in my young mind, Karen was my other mother, and Chris, Blake and Lauren were my other siblings.

And, in many respects, growing up, they were like our family, so it all seemed to "fit" in my little world.

That is until I was Mrs. Irwin's 4th grade class and I had a family tree project...I was a bright young girl, and I quickly figured out I had long been the butt of my parents' cruel joke. Further, I came to understand how families were really related...I was no longer confused. It was all very clear...and, I cursed them for their years of torment!

Yet, as the years have come and gone since the 4th grade, have decided to let go of the past and to not hold the ever so cruel things my parents did against them. More, I have decided to scrap the definitive definition of family I learned those many years ago!

You see, in the 4th grade, I was told that your family is related to you by blood...And while thus might be true in some respects, I am a bright enough old girl to know the "real" definition of family encompasses so much more.

To understand the real definition of what it means to be family, you must know that families share deep ties that only they understand. Real families understand when they need not to be understood. True families know the whole story and never pass judgment because they were a part of it. Families do not need to talk to know they are family. And, families love simply because they are family.

Thus, while Mark may not be my "real" dad, he is my real family...Cambrey and Blake...It stands to reason that you two would be the ones not here! :) That is why we love you!
All of us with our "others"...
Me and my "real" dad!
This IS funny!Me and ChrisKaren loving on Cinderella because she was so tired that she had fallen asleep standing up! HA!
Poor Uncle Justin! I bet he likes his nieces more than his crazy nephews!

Ballerina in front of Reed Arena...
This turned ugly...

G loved his uncles!
This is the funniest picture of the day...Why? Because K-Dan is the world's worst dancer! Poor Lauren!

To all my family, it was good to see you this weekend...and I look forward to next time!

2 comments:

Datra said...

Looks like you guys had a great day!! Are you still doing the boot camp that Eric forced you into? :o) You are looking thin!! Can't wait to see you on Sunday. Is my $2Mom coming?

Cambrey said...

I agree with Datra- you do look skinny! I am pretty angry about that as well as the comment about me and Blake. :)