CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Summer Lovin'

Summer.

It is hot in Texas during the summer. Real hot. And, since it has not rained in 101 days (or so it seems) it is real, real hot this summer.

I do not LOVE summer. I know...I am weird. It is too hot for me to love. I much prefer the coolness the fall and spring bring to Texas.

However, there are LOTS of things I DO love about summer.

What you ask?

#1 Mowing the lawn. It thrills me. Yes, this is sick....I know; however, I LOVE the act of mowing. Where else can I fulfill my OCD by making perfect rows with the mower AND get a workout at the same time? Love it. Mowing is awesome.Love this mower.And love this freshly cut grass before it looks burned because we have not watered in 30 minutes.

#2 Our American flag.
While I am not real sure why, we only put it out in the summer. Maybe because it is a patriotic time of year with Memorial Day and the 4th of July; however, I am burdened with logic, and I am pretty sure it is just because out flag pole seems to get crapped out about September each year...and then I am not motivated enough to buy a new one until I get excited about putting it out again for the summer. Nonetheless, I love our flag.

#3 Teaching summer school. Now, do not get me wrong, I love my job, but I really love (and will openly admit that I often miss) being in the classroom. Yes, I still work with kids (I assuredly work FOR kids), yet I do not REALLY get to work with kids like you do when you are with the each and every day in a classroom. No matter the relationship I have with them, it is different - very different - when you are their "teacher."

I know summer school is not the same as having a classroom for an entire year. I get that. But, it is enough (almost anyway) to sustain me...to remind me...to encourage me...to humble me...to inspire me...to motivate me...to fulfill me...for another year.

#4 My husband is the mom. This is not the first summer, and it assuredly NOT be the last that he is the stay-at-home mom. It is awesome. Really, it is...He ushers the kids to and from their activities, tidies the house, scrubs toilets, does laundry, has structured "at home" activities for the kids, plans meals, prepares meals, etc. He even bakes...almost daily! Now, it is interesting what my kids will be wearing, where he decides to put clean laundry, how he defines the word "clean," and what he decides to buy from the grocery store; however, I will never deny the awesomeness. Never. The good in this situation FAR outweighs the bad/weird, and I am truly grateful.

#5 A little more time at home. Our schedule during the school year is crazy - not bad...just a little crazy. We often long for time just to be at HOME. After school today we did NOTHING. We sat on the couch and talked. So, maybe we DID talk about how to was too darn hot outside to do anything fun - like go to the pool, pull the weeds in the backyard, pick berries at a local farm - but we sat there, and we loved the time we had together.

So, while summer might not be my most favorite time of year, there ARE lots of reasons I DO love it.

Here's to your summer lovin'...may it be a good one!

No comments: