CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

First Days of School


This past Monday was Grayson and Ella's first day of school for the upcoming school year. Needless to say, it was a pretty emotional day for me!
Both Eric and I have been back at work for a little over two weeks, but they have both been staying with family. Our daycare is affiliated with the school district, so it does not open until those on a regular teaching contact return...and Ella was not quite old enough to attend.
I think that is what makes me the most sad...She is only 7 weeks old! I have every confidence in the care they are in during the day (shoot, it is probably better than myself, and they are in classes with kids/babies of parents I work with), but not being able to be there with your kiddos is extremely difficult.
They have, however, had an awesome week. In fact, Grayson tells us he now has a girlfriend at school!
When he got in the car Friday, I asked him how his day had been. He said it was "pretty good," but that he was upset that a "friend" of his could not come over an play tonight because we had to go to the Meet the Teacher at Cannon and Gunnar's school. I asked him what friend he wanted to have over...and said that we might be able to do that Saturday. He said, "Well, my girlfriend."
"Oh, you have a girlfriend?" I asked.
"Yes, Mommy. I do."
"Oh, what is her name?"
"Karsyn..."
I found this story to be a little sketchy...Karsyn was what we were going to name Ella once upon a time...so, I asked him what she looked like, if she was in his class, if he loved her, etc. All of the real annoying questions a mother would ask their son about their first girlfriend.
He told me she wears pink and has black hair. She WAS in his class, sat next to him at lunch, took a nap next to Riley, liked to play with the books and connect blocks...and he DID love her a LOT!
"Oh," I commented, "that is wonderful!"
"I know Mom," he said, "I like having a girlfriend."
He has told all sorts of people today about his girlfriend, Karsyn. He seems to be very proud of her! However, just a few minutes ago he sat on the kitchen floor all sad, and when I asked him what was the matter he said, "I am just really missing my girlfriend."
I did not really know how to respond. I said that I understood and explained that I sometimes miss Daddy too when he is not around. Grayson looked at me like I was a freak! "Daddy is not your girlfriend," he said.
"I know," I rebutted, "but I love him too like you said you love Karsyn."
"But you and Daddy are married," he said still still confused.
"You are right...Daddy and I love each other, that is why we got married!"
"Then I DO NOT love Karsyn!" he proclaimed. "I am NOT getting married. I am a kid, and kids do not have weddings. That would be crazy."
Giggling...
"You are right...that would be a little crazy," I agreed, "but it is still okay to miss her."
"She is not real Mommy...so I guess it is all okay!"
He then got up and was ready for our walk. He has not mentioned Karsyn since...However, I will always remember that his first girlfriend was imaginary!

No comments: