CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Bachelor and Potato Chips

After being at home for the day, I was able to take G to choir (something I am not usually able to do when I am at work). When we got back in the car after choir practice G said, "Mommy, how much longer do you think I am going to be a bachelor?"

First, I must say that a couple of weeks ago I was working on somethings for school with the show The Bachelor in the background. He was captivated by the show, and wanted to know all about the dating process. Not thinking that it was the best explanation for dating for the 4 year old, I turned it off and offered my own explanation. He truly seemed to understand, and I assumed that we would not be addressing the issue again for many years to come!

So, back to this evening when we were on our way home from choir...

He was quite concerned that he was a bachelor. "When do you think I should get married Mommy?"

"Well, G, I think you should get married a long time from now...when you are grown up, when you meet a girl you think is pretty and smart...and when you fall in love." We talked about how Mommy and Daddy met at school...how we went to Aggie games...and how we fell in love...and then how we got married.

He was quite perplexed, "What if I get married sooner?"

"Why?" I was most intrigued that he thought that he was no longer wanting to be a bachelor, "Is there someone you think is pretty and smart...and that you love a whole lot? And you want to marry them now?"

"Well, we have to go to dinner first, but maybe..."

"Oh, so you have to go on a date?"

"Yea...and then we will get engaged like Uncle Justin and Uncle Kason..."

"That is true, but she will have to be your girlfriend first, " I reminded him. "Oh..." he said as he drifted into thought for a while. I could see him in his carseat in my rear view mirror with his hands on his head deep in thought...By this time we were well into our neighborhood.

"Well, I just need to be sure that after we get married that she eats a lot of potato chips. It is real important..."

"Why?" I was confused. I just could not figure out his connection!

"Mommy! You know!..After we are married we will want to have babies, and she will have to get real fat to have them! So, she needs to eat a lot of potato chips!"

Who knew? Needless to say, we will not be eating many potato chips in our house for a while!

After we were home we did enjoy some time on the driveway playing basketball with the friends and Daddy...

No comments: