CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

My Little Attourney

Long story short, G and I were having a serious conversation in the car this afternoon about Native Americans and why they hunted buffalo.
"Well, for food...They would shoot them with arrows so they could have food." I explained.
"You mean they ate animals?" he asked. (As if I was mistaken.)
"Yea. Just like we do."
"Mommy, I do not eat animals."
This was news to me. He eats lots of chicken, bacon and hamburgers...I explain this to him and go into detail about what animals the food he eats comes from.
"Mommy, it is not right to kill an animal and eat it. That is so mean."
"I understand G, but sometimes that is what you do. Some animals are raised so that we can eat them."
"People who kill animals to eat them will go to hell with the devil," he says with the straightest face. "Do you want to go to hell Mommy? Yes or no?"
I ignore his yes or no question because I feel slightly berated by the 4-year-old. He, however, is not deterred by my silence. Instead, he sees it as an opportunity to further prove his point...
"Mommy, do you love Daddy?...Yes or no?"
"Yes, G. I love Daddy, " I reply.
"Do you love Ballerina? Yes or no?"
"Yes, I love Ballerina..." He proceeds through the rest of our family with a yes or no following each question, and I reply frankly that I do love each of them. After I answer this first series with all yeses, he pauses dramatically he then says, "That is nice, Mommy. You love your family. You know, animals have families too, and you think it is okay to eat someone's Daddy...or brother...or sister...or baby..."
Is there really an appropriate answer?
This kind of questioning continued our entire drive home.

I am not going to lie, by the time we pulled into the driveway I was re-thinking my position on eating meat, and I assuredly felt guilty fore every decadent bite I had ever taken. My grandfather was an incredible attorney, and I could not help but to think as we walked into the door that Papa is laughing in heaven...and so very proud of G and his line of questioning.

Where does he get this logic? I

Oh, just so you know that G IS perfectly logical...He also informed me that if you mix English and Spanish you get Chinese and it is perfectly acceptable to chew gum one finds on the bottom of tables (these things told to me as he is chomping on gum found in this special location)!

No comments: