CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Our Little Olympian

I must admit, I am somewhat sad the Olympics will end tomorrow. However, as disappointed as I might be, G is devastated! He did nothing today but talk about why they had to end tomorrow. We have heard all sorts of stories today about G and his Olympic plans...of course, he is planning a trip to London in 2012, we discuss his practice schedules in the various sports he has decided he would like to participate, etc.

Yet, as much as G has talked during these Olympic games, he has watched them with interest even more. Pick an event and he can present you with stats about it! :) Yet, perhaps his greatest interest has been in Michael Phelps. We even let him stay up late into the night to view the medal ceremonies!

One evening he talked that if he could do anything in the Olympics, he would be a swimmer, but then followed his comment with: "...but I cannot even swim, so, crunch, I do not think that I can do that!"

True! He has not been able to swim! We have struggled with his swimming this summer. In fact, frustrating to Eric and myself, when compared to last summer, he has even regressed!

Yet, this evening we decided to go for an evening swim...G says, "Hey Mommy, say 'go!'" I speak the words to begin his race, he jumps in and then swims the entire length of the pool! And, his freestyle was perfect!

He gets out at the opposite end and says, "Mom, I think I can race Michael Phelps...I watched him and learned how to swim!

Eric and I were flabbergasted! Who knew one could learn to swim from watching Olympic races on television!?!?!? But to then top it off, he "begins" his next race...Eric and I look at him funny because his precious little freestyle is not looking quite right. I was puzzled, but Eric starts clapping and laughing...and then he says, "That is awesome butterfly G!"

Sure enough...he was doing butterfly! And, when he got across the pool he said, "I think butterfly might be my favorite! I am pretty good at it!"

This evening I learned a great deal about G. I knew he was determined, but I came to understand that determination on a completely different level. He CAN do anything he wants to do!

Until next time...

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Awwww...That's awesome! Michael Phelps has inspired many (myself included) with his amazing success during these Olympics! I'm sure he would LOVE G's story...I sure did! :)