CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Soccer Dumb Dumb?

We have been wondering about G and his athleticism. All who know G know that he is obsessed with sports - no understatement! Yet, Eric and I have been worried that his obsessions would disappoint him when he actually began playing...that he would not be the star he views himself as being.

Thus, we have all been eagerly anticipating this evening's game...G's first soccer game.

Yet, this evening's game almost did not happen!

When I went to pick up G from school I was presented with a report (a referral of sorts) that indicted that G had called his teacher a "stupid dumb dumb." I was LIVID! Just when I thought we had moved through that name calling phase...

He knew the second the teacher handed me the form that his consequence was that he would not be allowed to go to soccer this evening; however, to my dismay he was quite accepting of this consequence. He says when I give him the stern face and inform him that we will be going straight home, "Okay Mommy, we can play with Garner at home instead."

Are you kidding me? So, I replied, "No, we will be staying in the house..."
G: "I can watch tv, and..."
I cut him off, "No, G, there will be no television or anything like that..."
Making another plan, "Okay, I can read books and help Daddy make dinner..."
What? NO! This is a consequence...not find something else to divert the intent!

So, after some discussion with Daddy, it was decided we WOULD go to the soccer game, but that he would not be allowed to play. Instead, he would have to sit there and watch all of his friends.

Oh, and this was an amazing decision! It was TORTURE for him to have to sit and watch! It was one of our finer parenting moments. In fact, it was so tortorous that we decided to let the poor boy play the second 1/2 of the game.

Suckers...

But G WAS the superstar of the game! He scored 9 goals in less than 10 minutes of play! At one point the coaches said he had to play goalie to "give the others a chance!" But he blocked all of the goals and punted the ball out of the goal passed midfield! No surprise...Ballerina could have cared less about anything that was happening on the soccer field! She just kept running away to the playground!

1 comment:

Kierstyn said...

Nice parenting!!

And we did Pee Wee soccer with Elizabeth this time last year. She did it with her friend, and would only try to get the ball or kick the ball if her friend was holding her hand. Girls!!!