CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Teaching and Dreaming

When Eric and I were dating he was in a low spot in his career as an educator. He was debating if it was the profession for him, and in our conversations about the subject he bluntly told me one night sitting in my living room that he often thinks the relationships he forms his students were the only thing that kept him in the coaching/teaching profession.

At the time, his comment kind-of made me laugh...I mean, I just could not imagine that anyone, especially any educator, would feel differently. Of course you are in the profession because you care about students I thought!

Humm...Boy was I naive.

I have come to learn that as a teacher, it is one thing to care about students, but it is another thing to really love them.

Months went by and mine and Eric's relationship changed...as well as my view on what it meant to love my students...a big part due to Eric and his passion for his. In fact, it is one of the many reasons I fell in love with him! It melted my hear to realize just how much he really loved the kids he taught.

Sometimes, however, there is that one student who you care for just a little more than the others...a student with whom you have a relationship that is different...a student that has a story that touches your heart... student that makes a bigger impact on you than you could ever make on them...

And, when Eric and I were dating, there was a student in his class who was doing just that.

That was almost 9 years ago, and today that student, Frog, has etched his way into a very special place in our family. Proof positive that he was way more than just a student to us.

So it was with the greatest pride this past weekend that we were able to see Frog living out a part of his dream on a football field.
...the dream of receiving a full athletic scholarship to play......the dream of receiving an higher education......the dream to play on an infamous field......the dream of giving his all each and every second he is on the field......the dream of playing under these lights each weekend in the fall......the dream of having at least two fans that think you are a hero...
...the dream of making an interception and running for a touchdown that Taylor misses because she is too busy yelling...
(Good thing they put that one on the big screen!)
...the dream of celebrating with dear friends...
...Now, I do not think Frog ever dreamed of making me think for a long time that he had some serious issues with his pants! Good thing I realized that his play cards were there!
... but I know he NEVER dreamed he would be such a big part of our lives or ever make us so proud!Frog, keep dreaming! We will always be there to support you.
We are blessed you are a part of our lives, and humbled that you have allowed us to be such a big part of yours!
See 'ya in a couple of weeks! Go Rams!

No comments: