CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 27, 2011

Making His Own Footprints

Today was a day of great celebration in the Coker house, but before we get to that, I need to ask that you bear with me on this post...I might get a little off topic, and I beg your forgiveness before I begin...for I know I will struggle to keep to the point.

With that being said, I want to go back a few weeks...to Mother's Day...

We had an exceptionally incredible sermon at church on Mother's Day. True, most of our sermons are awesome --inspiring, thought-provoking, reflective -- but this one was especially all of these things.

It was the last of a 60-something week sermon series on the book of John. (Who knew the sermon series had been going on that long, but I digress...) Anyhow, it was about Doubting Thomas. (You should be happy. I just deleted almost 400 words..all because I decided to spare you all of the details that struck me, and TRY to stick to why I am inspired to write today...) But, at the conclusion of the sermon he made a connection to Mother's Day that I have gone back to time and time again since Jerry spoke nearly a month ago...

He told us to take a look at our children's feet and then challenged us to remember that their feet are NOT ours. It was stated that it is ever important for us as mothers - as parents - to know that one of the greatest things we can do in this noteworthy role is to let our children make their own footprints. But more, we should be delighted, overjoyed, and filled with pride, when they choose to not to follow in ours...

During this part of the sermon I immediately thought so of Gunnar, and when we got in the car Eric said he had been thinking the same thing. (We think a little alike...You think that is why we are a great match? Digressing again...)

Of the four Coker kids, he is the one that often beats to a different drum...his very own drum. And while it has always endeared Eric, myself... and many others for that matter to him (he reminds me in so many ways of one of my sisters), we also often fear that it makes him feel lost in our "crowd."

Eric and I talk frequently, but are often unsure, of how we let him know that it is not just "okay" -- it is awesome that he beats to that different drum. It is perhaps one of the absolute most special thing about him.

So, back to today...

As Gunnar stoically stood on the stage of his elementary school, his teachers spoke of the years to come...and how they wish for each of those in his class to come back and visit, but placed a caveat on their remarks by stating that these students might have to remind them of their names -- not because these teachers will not remember them, but rather because they will change and grow so much in the years to come that it might be hard to recognize them.

So true.

He WILL change, and Eric's and my prayer for him...That he will make his own footprints.

Dearest Gunnar, we are so proud of you, and we truly love you for you.(Love this picture! It is his signature "look.")
And as you make those footprints you are destined to make, know that we will love you more for each one.More, we wish that YOU will find the same joy in making them that we find in watching you make them.And, may you always make them with Him in mind first. It is He that made you the unique one you are, and it is to Him that we owe great glory.
On to intermediate school...

1 comment:

Ginger said...

My Dearest Gunnar:

You continue to delight and fill me with pride as you march onward into life, keeping beat to a drum perhaps only we few lucky ones hear!!!

You are special; You are loved!

Gigi