CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Mother's Day at the Spa

Mother's Day...It is still weird that this day is for "me" now. I mean, I still view it as a day to honor MY mother and those whose influence has so greatly impacted me.

Eric asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day a week or so ago, and I promptly made a face and said, "Nothing! Why would you get me anything for that?" He laughed and told me I am weird (not an uncommon thing for him to tell me) for thinking that I am completely unworthy of the honor bestowed on mothers on this special day and asked how many years it would take for it to sink in that I am a mother too!

I think that is just it...I find it weird that I am actually a mother. I feel completely unworthy of that title and even less deserving of the responsibility the role being a mother holds! Let's face it...I am not real sure sometimes that I am cut out to be influencing children (lest my role in education! Ha!) much less raising them! What business do I have doing this?

Yet, here I am...with more than one little "creature" that calls me "Mommy."

I guess I need to face the music.

I guess I need to accept the facts.

I guess I need to own-up to the reality that Mother's Day includes me now... but, dang, that is WEIRD!

It was nice, however, to be honored on this special day for special people, and the greatest celebration in which I participated was at G's school.

Each year the kindergarteners host a Spa Day in honor of Mother's Day. It is pretty darn cute...The cafeteria is dimly lit, there is music softly in the background, there are chairs set up for the honorees...

This was our agenda for the day...G was going to do my hair, apply my make-up, and then give me a massage and a pedicure. Jealous?He also wrote some lovely poems for me.How precious. Right?

And then it was down to business...He dumped out the bag I was instructed to bring....and whipped out the nail polish! And so you know, he does NOT have a future in the nail business. He skipped a few fingers and told me that it was too much trouble to go back and get them. :)He quickly moved on to applying my make-up, and was quite disturbed that I did not want to wear dark brown eyeshadow on my cheeks. Clearly, I have failed in my mothering because I have never taught this boy to put on make-up! ha!All-in-all my Spa Day at Forest Ridge was over in about 5 minutes and 15 seconds. These 2 told us that they were really just ready to go home! However, I will forever remember the afternoon...I do not know that a mother could have ever been given a greater gift in honor of the day. It reminded me that I AM a mom...and a VERY blessed one at that.

To all of the special moms in my life (especially my mom, grandmother and mother-in-law), happy Mother's Day...I am so very thankful for you.

No comments: