CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Upon Finding Nemo

Before I tell this story, I feel as if I should let you know that Nemo is our million dollar cat. We found him on the side of the road (thus the name Nemo) when I was pregnant with G. He was so tiny, covered lice, had ear mites...you name it! He was in bad shape! We spent hundreds at the vet rescuing the then 4 week old kitten.

Than about a year later we were back at the vet spending hundreds again on a life-saving surgery because of a major kidney infection.

So...to the story...

Each night before I go to bed, I make sure all of my "kiddos" are tucked safely in bed...the 4 kids, the 2 dogs and the cat. However, at 10:30 that night when I went to do this, Nemo was nowhere in the house to be found!

Knowing the boys had been in and out all weekend, particularly that day, I immediately assumed that he had gotten out of the house and was wandering outside! When this has happened before, I would open the front door he would come running in.

But, when I opened the door this time, there was no Nemo. I went calling for him...and no Nemo. We went looking in the backyard...no Nemo. Then to the neighbor's yard...no Nemo. Eric went driving around...no Nemo. Justin and I looked all over the house...no Nemo. Fearing we have lost him like we did Blue, I begin crying, and after a couple of hours of looking, Eric and Justin convinced me to go to bed and that I Nemo will appear like he always does.

Of course, I never fell asleep, but when Eric got up to go to the bathroom around 3 in the morning, he accidentally stepped on Nemo! He squealed in terrible pain, and we knew immediately there was something seriously wrong. We have no clue from where he appeared!

We were at the vet ASAP that morning where we learned that he had been in a terrible cat fight and had 3 abscesses!

So, $400 and 6 hours later he was at home with his new necklace (collar), straw (drain), strings (stitches), and fuel (drugs).

We are now on our way to recovery...Just one more instance of how Nemo is truly our million dollar cat!

3 comments:

Datra said...

Poor Nemo! He is so lucky to have you guys - Paul has imposed a $200 per incident cap on each of our two cats, so Nemo would not have been as lucky were he a Quin cat!

Charla (SHar-la) said...

I'm glad Nemo is safely at your house because if he was a cat at my parents' house...let's just say Nemo would never be found again. My dad's famous quote, "We do NOT take cats to the vet. Either they live, or they don't." LOL...I like your way better...I got my very first credit card because of my Chloe kitty in college. Funny thing...when we moved, we gave her to my parents to become an outdoor cat and she didn't last a year. She got sick and my dad...well, you know the rest.

Natalie said...

Awwww...Poor Nemo!!! Glad he is home though. Sounds as though he's well loved and being well taken care of.