CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 12, 2010

King of the Day


As G's class progresses through their study of the alphabet, works on their writing skills and develops their social skills, they are celebrating what they call King and Queen of the day.

Each day (or every other day I think) children from the class are selected to be the king and/or queen of the day. Then the selected students answer questions about themselves in front of the class while the other children take note. Afterwards each of the children in the class write about the king/queen of the day, and their writing/drawing of the king/queen are collected in a book that is sent home.

G was NOT the first student chosen in the class to be the king/queen, and I would like for those of you who know him to reflect on how he handled this situation...Yes, what you are thinking is exactly how he handled it...NOT WELL! So, for many nights we talked about patience, waiting our turn, the importance of getting to know other classmates, etc. It was a big life lesson for him, but it in no way squelched his excitement when he WAS chosen to be king of the day!This past Wednesday, G was the King of Mrs. Rodriguez's kindergarten class!I thought his answers to the questions about himself were sort-of funny...likes to eat fish? What? I know he likes it, but I would not have ever guessed that fish would be his answer to that sort of question!I particularly enjoyed this picture created by one of his classmates...Check out that awesome fish eatin' G!
The description G gave of this picture also made me laugh..."I kept telling her that I do not have red hair, but girls do not listen to anything you say!" Oh, I am SO GLAD that he learned this VERY important lesson in kindergarten...girls will NEVER listen to what you say because girls are always right and boys are always wrong! :)
And, of course, I had to add this picture as well. His "girlfriend" drew this picture. When I asked him which picture from his classmates was his favorite, he turned immediately to this one...and said, "Well, it is not really the best picture, but I like who drew it the best. So that makes it my favorite..." I did not ask him if the things she tells him to do bother him, but I am going to...

Oh, a couple more stories about kindergarten that, by the way, is going GREAT...

On the second or third day of school I realized at the dinner table that I had failed to as G about lunch...something that I figured would be a big deal to a kindergartner. Me: "G, tell me about lunch. It is a lot different from your preschool I bet." G (with a look on his face like I am stupid): "Did you know that nobody in my class sings their prayer at lunch like God tells them to do?" Me (taken off guard and not really knowing what to say): "No, G, what did you do about that?" G: "Well, I sang it for them and told them that Jesus is sad that they do not pray...and they need to watch out!" I just nodded...What am I supposed to say? That Catholic daycare did some amazing things for my kid, and his parents probably should have dine a little more explaining the difference between Christian and public education! :) However, should I be proud that he is a little missionary in kindergarten, or should I be worried that he is damning his classmates? I have decided to choose the first of the two...

At dinner another night...Me: "So who do you play with in your class?" G: "Why do you have to ask me questions like that?" Me: "Because I am your mom, and I want to know how your day went and who you like to spend time with." G: "Well, some girls, and that is all." Me: "Oh, girls...I did not know you liked to play with girls...that is good!" G: "I don't. I hate playing with them, but they always chase me, and I cannot get rid of them." Me: "I thought you liked some of the girls in your class." (Thinking of the conversation we had about one in particular.) G: "I do, bit she doesn't chase me because she knows I am hers."

I am sure there will be more kindergarten updates in the days to come, but I thought I would share what we have been up to thus far!

1 comment:

The Magnuson Family said...

Those are some great stories. Hearing them made me smile. I can't wait to hear more about kindergarden.